January 13 2015

On the News…Slice of Life!

Snow day number three today…my phone rang about noon. It was my assistant principal asking me if my students were getting any work done during the snow days. We chatted and I told him that I have a bunch of students blogging and working on their independent writing projects and even more are reading! I asked why he wanted to know. It turns out the public information officer had contacted him and with my permission, he would be contacting me. Sure!! I love when my students get authentic audience beyond me. I emailed links to a bunch of blogs and waited for the next call. 

Fifteen minutes later the phone rang again but this time it was a television news reporter from the ABC station in Washington DC, Suzanne Kennedy. Huh? She wanted to interview one of my students. After getting all of the permissions in place, I passed along a name and phone number and then I waited. 

Five o’clock arrived. The story was supposed to lead off the news…except there was a mysterious smoke problem with the Metro. I worried that our story got bumped off tonight’s news…until 5:19, when I heard the reporter start talking about our county.

Then I saw Minahil! There she was…on the screen… 

What was on the screen?!?! What was she typing?!?! Take a look…

Writing her slice of life, while living it! I love that her blogging got her on the news tonight! It makes me so happy that during the filming, she showed the reporter her slice of life! Slicing has become part of their writing lives…even on snow days! Way to go, Minahil!

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted January 13, 2015 by Ms. Haseltine in category Haseltine, news, slice of life, snow days

2 thoughts on “On the News…Slice of Life!