September 9 2014

My Life as a Reader!

I can still see the blue cover of the golden book titled Bugs Bunny and too Many Carrots. I made my dad read it to me every night as my bedtime story. My tattered copy is still in my nightstand over thirty years later. Bedtime stories are one of my most treasured childhood memories.     
            Mom and Dad both read all the time. Mine is a family of readers. Mom being a first grade teacher molded me as a reader. There were books everywhere. We had weekly trips to the library. I remember Dorie books around Halloween and Amelia Bedelia books made me giggle. Knock –Knock books were my first foray into the world of non-fiction. Mom limited me to only one of those a week.
            I don’t remember exactly how I learned how to read. Dad read to me at bedtime. Mom and I read during the day. I loved books more than stuffed animals or dolls. I remember on trips out, I always had to have books with me. Reading the same books over and over again helped me become a reader. I memorized the books and soon pretended to read them. That was the first time I felt like a reader. I loved the Little Miss and Little Mr. books too. I guess reading has always been something that’s been easy for me.  Reading in school is a different story.
            In school, I LOVED Scholastic book orders. My mom would always let me order at least one book from the order. When the books came in, it felt like it was my birthday. New books are the BEST! Other than that, I didn’t like reading in school. We had reading books and we had to read stories from there. Then we had to answer questions. It was boring. The WORST was book reports.
            Library was great! Our library was in the convent in the basement. It was about the size of this classroom with no windows. We got to pick out any books we wanted. We could only check out two books a week. I loved Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski and every book by Beverly Cleary. Nancy Drew books were my favorites! Everything about library made me smile, until the fifth grade. That’s when Sister Helen (our librarian) MADE me read Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry AND we had to write a book report about it. Ugh! I despised that book.
            I don’t remember teachers reading aloud to me in school. That makes me sad. As I got older, reading just got better and better. I think I was in sixth or seventh grade when I found my all time favorite books my L.M. Montgomery.  Anne of Green Gables makes me smile. I’ve read that book about a dozen times. It’s a book I return to and reread every once in a while. I wrote an essay about Anne for my college application essay. (I got accepted and went to that college, Boston College.) Those books are so beautifully written. Anne is someone I wanted to be friends with. I like to think she’d call us “kindred spirits”.
            In my house, I have a window seat. I love to curl up with a blanket, Leo and a good book. Early morning and quiet Saturday afternoons are my favorite times to read; although, I’ve also read books that I can’t put down and I will read late into the night.
            Reading many different kinds of books is my strength. I like to try new things. I’ve tried so many genres and titles. I’m proud of my history as a reader. I wish that I kept a better record. Recording and keeping track of my reading is a great weakness! I will enjoy reading for as long as I am alive! I am a reader.

What memories do you have about reading? What is YOUR story as a reader? 

Tags:
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted September 9, 2014 by Ms. Haseltine in category Haseltine

22 thoughts on “My Life as a Reader!

1. piglet

i love bed time stories! reading isn’t really my thing but i’m excited to make it my thing! i know my aunt loves to read so i’m excited to tell her what my new “thing” is going to be !

2. Megan

I love this post! It reminds me so much about when I was little. Me and my mom used to read in the day for homework and me and my dad read at night. I have also been recommended to read Ann of Green Gables, i wonder of its a good book? it probably is. I loved reading this cause it reminded me of childhood memories!! :):):):):):)

3. booklover

Oh my goodness ms Haseltine! I remember my parents reading to me one big happy family in the hallway<3 thanks for bringing back precious memories!!!

4. Hopping LeBron

One memory I have reading was with my dad. Each night, before I went to bed, he would read a chapter of the book series, Captain Underpants. I think both of us enjoyed it a lot, I know I did

5. Jellyfishman

I love reading as much a you do. Oh and with the book orders, same here. I guess I started reading when I was about three.

6. Riley

I have a cousin who’s name is Amelia she comes from a family of readers. Her mom is a big novel reader and she loves reading too her favorite book is amelia bedelia and dora

7. Happy Smiles

Dear Mrs.Haseltine,
    I know how you feel. I hate doing book report.I only like to do it once in a while. I hate it when we always have to read the same book given by teachers. It is fine to do it once in a while but not all the time.

8. goobster

I remember my friend and I would always make forts and read in them before we went to bed when we has sleepovers. Sometimes till this day i still do that whit him!

9. MyLittlePony

When I was about 5 years old, I’d make my mom or dad read Night Night Baby more than 18 times every night!

10. danyaal

I remember LONG time ago, my mom would tell me a story before i sleep and it was so awesome and it felt like a book in my head.

11. Lorraine

When I was younger I always won the reading MS fundraiser. I can really relate to what you’ve written. I also think it’s amazing that you have filled up those notebooks/journals with your writing. What a treasure.

It is such a gift to pass on the love of reading to all of the children!