March 15 2013

Slice #15 Dreams take hard work

We are half way through our slice of life challenge. I remember some of you were anxious and nervous about writing everyday, even Saturday and Sunday! As I reflect on our writing so far, you’ve exceeded my expectations. In addition to writing everyday, I’ve learned more about you. I’ve witnessed improvement in your writing and I’ve had fun. Becoming a writer may be a dream for you and I want you to pay attention to how it feels to write everyday. Is it easy or hard for you to find the time? Have you sat down and done it everyday? That’s what writers do. They write. Everyday. We wrote about dreams a few days ago. Dreams are more than thinking about something. Dreams take hard work. Is this your dream?

Congratulations on great writing! Keep it up! We are half way there.

Tags:
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted March 15, 2013 by Ms. Haseltine in category slice of life challenge

50 thoughts on “Slice #15 Dreams take hard work

1. Grace

Jenna, my friend from my soccer team, said that her school is going to have a Harlem Shake flash mob! Someone’s phone is going to start playing The Harlem Shake at lunch. Then, a kid will get up and start dancing! And, of course, when it says, “Do the Harlem Shake!” everyone is going to get up and start dancing!!! It will be pretty cool!

I also have a soccer tournament on Saturday and Sunday, but the forecast on Saturday doesn’t look so good. I might have to play 3 games in cold, rainy weather!

2. Rebekah

I have my book talk today!!! I am a little nervous. I hope i speak well. This project reminds me of when i would be shaking last year to speak. Now i don’t!!!! It is a great accomplishment for me. I am also doing a lot better in writing.

Yay! half way sooo excited. I might do it the rest of my life it is soo fun to do in my free time and mornings.

3. Rebekah

Macy do you need me to help you still? I know it is probably a no, but sometimes the part that is broken or hurt is in so much pain they needed someone with them if they fall. Let me know.

4. Caitlin

Everybody has to say Happy birthday to my friend (you will recognize her because her locker is decorated) because tomorrow is her birthday.

5. Natalie

I have so far done all my blogging! Yay! I can’t believe we are already halfway done. Time goes past quickly when you are having fun. Today for breakfast I had dunkin donuts. My favorite flavor is strawberry. Also I FINISHED Viola In The Spotlight! I was wondering ms. Haseltine if you have the third book? Well gotta go to the bus!

6. Brendan

I really hate chores they are not fun because they take a long time and I would rather play video games.

7. Caprice

I just loved rebekah’s book talk today that is very creative and i can’t wait until st. patrick’s day and just a little hint if you don’t wear green someone will pinch you maybe even a leprachaun.

8. Rachel L.

I had no idea it was pi day today. Anyways yeah it’s the weekend; all I have to do this weekend is study for a math test and finish my book talk that I am going to present on Monday. Yeah I also have dance on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Fern

Gah… I’m so borrrreeeddddd
    Boredom isn’t fun
    Oh and miss haseltine
    I might’ve found a better passage then my original can i use it instead plz

10. mshaseltine (Post author)

Fern, Absolutely! You can make any changes you’d like for your book talk. Have fun!

11. Leah

Right now I’m bored; so bored. There’s just nothing to do, and I’m to lazy to do anything. I’m sad because I have to study Science over the weekend (I hate studying!!) Besides all of that I’m in a good mood I’m happy it’s Friday!!!

12. Alyssa

I was just at my friend Caitlin’s house and her dog Comet tried to attack me. We were in a tree and her dog almost got into it. Then she showed me how her dog could jump over a pile of wood we set up. The first time it worked then Comet got annoyed and attacked me again. it was fun though!

13. Abigayle

When I was reading Viola #2 I found some cool passages that I wanted to share.

•There was enough light to see who they were to become to each other. And enough to light the path of true love

•They were happy too. The truth is out in the open and no matter where your from, that’s a good thing.

•Chance really is a big part of what happens in life

•When the glass is half full, it can really quench your thirst if you let it

•Life is what you make it

•It’s the little things that matter

•There are times when no explanation will do

•Every person wants to be seen for who they truly are
    Not some silly idea of what they think you are

•What is real and what is pretend stays here. When we come back the next day to tell the story all over again, it’s waiting here for us. But this world has no impact on real life.

•Love stays forever.

14. Nathan

I don’t know about being a writer when I grow up. I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. But I do hope I write a book when I get older.

15. Dillon

I am so excited it is Friday. In a week from now I will be on a plane to Cancoon Mexico, I am so exicited. I have never been to Cancoon but I have heard really good things about it!

16. MS

Yay! We are halfway there. I think I will miss the Slice of Life challenge once it’s over. I wonder if we could do this for a longer time.

I was thinking today about how the books I read now are so different from the books I read last year. Maybe it’s because I’m in middle school. Maybe it’s because I am older. Maybe it’s another reason entirely. Regardless, I know that I read very different books now than I did before. Here’s an example:

Last year I absolutely loved The Hunger Games series and thought they were the best books ever. I also loved all books by Rick Riordan. Now, I still like those books and think they are good, but I think to myself, The best books ever? What was I thinking? In my opinion, the books I have read this year are much better than the ones I read last year.

Reflecting on this makes me realize that I have become a much better reader this year, and I hope I continue to improve in my reading.

17. MS

P.S. I absolutely LOVE the Viola book! I can’t wait to finish it and then read the rest of the series!

Also, if anybody is looking for a good book, read The Roar by Emma Clayton. It’s about a boy who tries to find his missing sister by competing in a violent competition. Everybody tries to convince him that his sister is dead, but he doesn’t believe them and goes on this adventure to find her. It’s a book you won’t regret reading!!!

18. mshaseltine (Post author)

MS, Thanks! You should write a review on our other blog. 🙂 That sounds like a good book!

19. Daniel

Daylight Saving Time has really messed my body clock up. I wake up in the morning so tired I can barely see! I wish we still had that extra hour of sleep because of all my busy weeks coming up.

20. Wardah

I have a field hockey game on Saturday and I’m super exited. And I’m super hyper because I had alot of sugar. My friend had 3 or 4 donuts.

21. Riley.W

I have a sugar rush I just had three scoops of ice cream with extra caramelle, chocolate syrup, whip cream, a banana, and a cherry on top. 🙂

22. Lipika

Yay! We are halfway through! I love writing on the blog everyday! I think personally that it is really fun! I think I will not be an author though I do like writing a lot! Thank You for making us write everyday!!! Ms. Haseltine could I do my book talk on Tuesday instead of Monday? I just want to see other people do theirs and learn from them.

23. Kyle

I just had an amazing. After school I got to walk with Alex V. To his house to work on our book talks. Then we got to go to the Mill Run Winter Carnival. It was preatty fun. When I got home I got to eat tacos for dinner! Tomorrow I get to go to Alex’s house again! Can’t wait!

24. Amanda

I finished Viola in Reel Life and it is SO good! It my favorite book next to my book talk book, Ways To Live Forever. I can’t wait to read Viola in The Spotlight. Can I recommend the book to the book help page? Thanks so much!
    Have a fun Friday night! 🙂

25. noelle:)

Okay its pretty late so this will probably be quick. Plus, tomorrow my mom’s running a half marathon so we’ll have to wake up early. Today was a good day. I had pi day and its a Friday!!!
    I can’t believe it’s already half way through, it’s gone by really fast!!!
    Okay, have a great weekend Ms. Haseltine!!!

26. Will R.

Today, my brother came home from college. This brother is from William and Mary. His name is Joe. My brother from UVA is Mike. Mike is coming home tomorrow because UVA lost in the tournament. So now I’ll have two brothers home. Yay!

27. Haley

Me and my friend went icescating and there was no one from my school there so we just scated by ourselves. It was really fun, because we did not have to worry about school drama. I came home and watched tv until like 11:00pm then I oovooed my friend until I fell asleep.

28. Matthew

I am finally finished my book Ms. Haseltine, but I couldn’t type it because I left it there.Can I get it 1st block?

29. Macy

I am so tired. I can’t wait to go to bed! My sister went to her colorgaurd competition I stayed home because my knee was hurting.

30. Shelby

I made up a poem while i was walking my dog the other day,

I was out,
    walking, thinking,
    And that’s when I saw you…
    I started running,
    Faster and faster to keep up.
    You turned onto the pathway into the woods,
    so i tried keeping up…
    it didn’t work so well.

I came to a three-way and thought,
    should I go home,
    turn around,
    or keep trying…
    so I went on.

My legs screaming with pain,
    my heart racing to finish,
    my feet worried for how long they have to run.

I came to the end of the path,
    standing there,
    just me,
    only me.
    I wish i could keep going…
    maybe i should?

No
    I’m done

My whole body,
    releived.

But, I missed my chance,
    to see you.
    all I wanted to say was “Hello”
    but now I can’t.

I went through so much to see you
    and you will NEVER know what happened
    I went through SO much…
    and only I know how much you mean to me.

I guess I’ll just have to tell you tomorrow,
    but it won’t be as special…

31. Brandon

I forgot to do this day which is bad so I am doing it right now. Friday I was home all day doing nothing. Just chilling with family and everything else.

32. Jasmine O.

Today is my Pi day. Because we had to push it back because there was a snow day. I cant wait because i’m so hungry.