February 23 2016

Slice of Life #1: Me, The Coffee Thief

slice-of-life_classroom-image-black-2hr4qxx-300x200

Each night, my mom prepares her Keurig by putting a cup of water and a K-Cup in it. This saves her in the morning from rushing to make her coffee, even though it’s made with a touch of a button. You see, my mom and I always get ready at the last possible minute. We would rather sleep in and rush around in the morning than get up early and take our time to do our morning tasks. Therefore, of course, I slept in until 7:20 when I had to be ready by 8:00 for my fellow Teacher Cadet, Ashley, to pick me up so we could get to field experience on time. I rushed to get my hair and makeup done, and by the time I finished it was 7:58. Shoot. I ran upstairs with my backpack and grabbed a tumbler for my coffee to go (because Lord knows I need it). I filled it up with water, poured it into the Keurig, and then realized my mom already filled it with water last night. Great; just what I needed. I had completely forgotten that my mom did that every night, and now the Keurig was overflowing with water. My mom had also put in a fresh K-Cup in it. I also noticed that it was her last one. At this point, I didn’t even care. I was in a rush, and I desperately needed coffee like one needs air to breathe. It was 8:02 at this point, and Ashley had texted me to let me know she was running late. At least time was in my favor to get my coffee ready. I pressed the button to brew the coffee, and watched as a small stream of dark, bitter liquid spewed into my tumbler. As it was brewing, I felt a little guilty, as I knew my mom would now be without coffee that morning. Ashley texted me saying, “Here,” and I scrambled with my bookbag out the door. As I was driving to my field experience school with Ashley, “Sorry” by Justin Bieber started playing, and I am convinced it was a sign that I shouldn’t have taken my mom’s last K-Cup. Guiltily, I texted my mom and let her know the crime I committed before she would find out for herself. Now, because my mom would be without coffee, she’d be cranky, but what really would grind her gears was that I was the culprit behind her crankiness.

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted February 23, 2016 by missgaetjen in category slice of life

7 thoughts on “Slice of Life #1: Me, The Coffee Thief

1. Ms. Haseltine

Miss Gaetjen, Your slice of life made me laugh out loud!!! I hope your mom got some coffee! Thanks for the wonderful slice!

2. Margaret Simon

I use a Keurig, too, and would be really upset if my daughter used the last cup. I keep some extra coffee and a plastic refillable cup for that reason. Maybe you should get her a care package in case this would ever happen again. I enjoyed your slice of life!

3. missgaetjen (Post author)

I’ve heard of those refillable cups! I should get my mom one as an apology. I also love the idea of a care package! Thank you for your feedback, and I’m so glad you enjoyed my SOL! 🙂

4. Mrs. Bugaj (LVHS Teacher)

This is hilarious! As a mom, I can appreciate you gave her a heads up. 🙂 Great writing. I felt like I was there. “Watched as a stream of dark, bitter liquid spewed into my tumbler.” Perfect description!