March 29 2013

Slice #29 It’s almost over

Twenty-nine days. I’m proud of our accomplishment. Even with spring break during the month of March, we’ve blogged everyday. My reasons for this assignment included honing our observation skills and improving our writing by creating a daily habit. My students accomplished this and MORE. They shared themselves in their writing. I sent an email to the originators and coordinators of this challenge to thank them. Here’s part of the email:

I wanted to share my thanks with you for the slice of life challenge. When I introduced it to my students, the responses varied from Hooray! to WHY do we have to do this?!?!?

Our spring break is the last week of this month. When I introduced the assignment, I explained it would be all month long. I was skeptical, as many students this year struggle with completing homework. It was a rocky start, but two weeks in…we were on a roll. The majority of students were writing everyday! It’s so exciting that it’s hard for me to put into words. They were writing everyday on their own!  The last week of March was quickly approaching and I heard, But, Ms. Haseltine?!?! What about vacation? How will we do this? Do we have to? Many students seemed extremely stressed out and some were resentful, like this was a punishment. Writing is NOT a punishment! Yesterday, we talked about it. We talked about why we were blogging and what results we’ve seen from it. I made the last week optional. This morning, I just read this comment on the blog (from a reluctant writer):
I’ve decided to do the whole March! I want to challenge myself and try to do the whole Spring break. Hopefully I remember to blog everyday!
I’m going to miss the challenge. I’ll continue. My hope is many of my students will continue as well. Slice of Life Challenge has created a closer community with my students and I’m so grateful.
What’s your favorite part of our slice of life challenge this March? 

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted March 29, 2013 by Ms. Haseltine in category slice of life challenge

26 thoughts on “Slice #29 It’s almost over

1. anita ferreri

I too will miss the writerly life….but I need to return a bit of time to the treadmill and a bit of time to my laundry piles! I love the writing and responding and reflecting….but it consumes my “free” time…as well it should. We are all different for seeing our lives through our writerly selves.

2. Chris H.

You are talking, communicating about, and valuing writing. You are showing your kids what real writers do. What a gift. Thanks to Ruth and Stacey for sharing this gift with me, too. It has been a great trip. I always look forward to it, even when it’s hard.

3. Grace

My favorite part of the Slice of Life Challenge was writing everyday, because it always helped me clear my mind.

Yesterday was a terrible day for me. I cut my finger on a soda can, I split part of my toe when I slipped on the sidewalk, and last night I almost got sick. It didn’t help that my dog kept bouncing on my air mattress and my phone kept beeping because it had no battery at all. I’m going to try not to hurt myself today, but I’m known in my family for clumsiness. So, I’ll probably fall down the stairs or something. Oh, well.

4. Paravi

My favorite part about the Slice of Life is that you can write what ever you want and that it isn’t like a homework assignment to me, I think it is more fun than that and is encouraging us to become better writers. The more we are used to it the better our ideas will flow. I am certainly going to miss Slice of Life but I promise to comment whenever I can. I wish we could do it longer!😔😓

5. Natalie

My favorite part about the slice of life writing is that you get to write an experience or something that happened to you. Also this was my first time on a blog and actually writing something on a blog. It was a good first experience. I think it might be cool to do an actual post and to post a picture like you can Ms. Haseltine.

6. Kaylin

Sorry I haven’t been blogging in a while. I was at Busch Gardens for three days. It was so chaotic, and I forgot to write. Busch Gardens was really fun though. The rides were awesome.

7. Kaylin

I feel bad that I haven’t been blogging. I felt like I was missing something. I feel better now that I am doing it.

8. mshaseltine (Post author)

Kaylin, I hope you had fun at Busch Gardens. I’m so glad you’re back blogging again. Welcome back!

9. mshaseltine (Post author)

Hi Natalie, I’m so glad you are enjoying this. Interesting idea…writing posts. I can certainly arrange that if you’re interested. 🙂

10. mshaseltine (Post author)

Anita, It does take time! I agree with you. Thanks for taking the time to comment. 🙂

11. mshaseltine (Post author)

Paravi, It didn’t feel like homework to me either. I’ll continue to blog. You continue to comment. Maybe you can even write your own post if you’re interested. What do you think?

12. mshaseltine (Post author)

Thanks Chris! An unexpected gift was finding new friends in the blogosphere. 🙂

13. Paravi

That would be great Ms. Haseltine! I probably wouldn’t be able to post EVERY single day because of other commitments and homework but that sounds like a lot of fun. Can it be about anything like Slice of Life or does there have to be a certain topic? Anyway, Thank you! Can I talk to you during silent reading at school sometime about this? Thanks again! 😛😋

14. mrssurridge

It has been a pleasure to read the writings of your students. I have enjoyed your thoughts and theirs. I think my favorite part of the challenge was watching my students blog every day. Seven of them have been faithful through the whole thing and I loved checking in at the end of the day to see if they were continuing to challenge themselves. I also loved the improvement I saw in the details and descriptions of their writing. It’s been fun.

15. Lipika

Ms. Haseltine doing the blog does not feel like homework at all. I love doing the blog. Onto my slice of life…. Today is Good Friday and I really do not know. Can somebody tell me why today is called Good Friday.

16. Amy Rudd

Michelle,
    Your students continuing to blog on their own is inspiring. I noticed that when given the choice-kids really do rise to the occasion. I am inspired by their awareness and tenacity as they complete the challenge. Yay for them!
    Thanks for sharing-you’re a great role model for them as you’ve met the challenge too!

17. mshaseltine (Post author)

Thanks Amy! I have enjoyed reading your blog so much and I look forward to continue reading your posts. Thanks for commenting and supporting me and my students through this challenge.

18. mshaseltine (Post author)

Thank you so much mrssurridge! I’m so glad you saw the writing improve, as I did with my students. The connections made was my favorite part! Happy Blogging!

19. MS

Went shopping, got new bike, happy 🙂

I am going to miss the Slice of Life Challenge. It was fun, and like Paravi said, it didn’t even feel like homework. My favorite part was how we didn’t have to write in a specific kind of writing (six word memoir, paragraph, etc.) but instead could express our thoughts however we wanted. I think it is helping me improve in my writing. I will continue commenting, but maybe not every day. To me, it sounds interesting to have my own posts, but I would like to know more details about that.

20. Will R.

I don’t know what my favorite thing is about this slice of life challenge. It might be that we get to use our computers to do this. I am not the biggest fan of writing with paper and pencil.

I am very happy today because my brother Joe came home for Easter.

21. Leona

My favorite part of the blog is that it lets you write everyday no matter how busy you think you are. The month has passed really fast. I wonder what the prize will be, I can’t wait to find out!

22. Carmela

Today we picked up my cousin and went around New York City again. We visited High Line, Pommes Frites, and so much more. Then around night time we went out to get something to eat with my dad’s cousin. After that we went to drop of my cousin. While we were at her house we made cookies and watched a movie, hoping my parents would fall asleep so we can stay longer.

23. Leah

I’m so happy because today I got to go to the beach, I also got to go shopping:) I have to go back to Virginia tomorrow though.