March 28 2013

Slice #28 Inside the writer’s brain…

I don’t know what to write. A deadline looms ahead like a dangerous curve on a Sunday drive. Writing comes from a place filled with peace and silence. There’s so much noise inside of my head. As I struggle to get words down onto paper for the writing group to read I think about my students. How do they do it? I am looking for the answer to suspend writers block. Although, while it is very inconvenient right now, I believe that it does serve a purpose. Lately, my senses have been searching out original scenes, ideas, quotes…just anything to add to my writing. It’s not like I don’t know why this is happening. I do. The lack of control I have over this is frustrating.

For me writing is a slowing down of life. It’s a place where I look and listen and record feelings, experiences- just life. Life right now is crazy. I need to drain these unnecessary details out of my brain…life is stressful, filled with the unknown, filled with bills to pay, report cards, school activities, running, holidays, friends, family, responsibilities…STOP.

Take a deep breath.

With all of this occurring, how can I not have anything to write?

Wait. Think. Fingers poised over the keys of the laptop computer; like the starting line of the fifty yard dash, “Ready, Set, GO!” And I’m off……Motorcycles rumble by. I clean dog hair off of the keyboard. The breath catches in my chest as I continue. Work through the fear. Writing is about discipline. It’s about the process and the process can be messy and scary, but so worthwhile. (Life can be like that; scary and messy but so valuable.)

Like driving in the fog or walking in the woods on a dark, moonless night…the path is imperceptible, but I know it is there. Faith. Faith is belief in the unseen. Faith is commitment. Committing to continue on this path no matter where it leads. Short cuts and dead ends will bring troublesome times, challenges, tears, and loneliness. The clear marked path will provide comfort, solace, and beauty. All of this is valuable in the journey to write…the journey of life. How do you cure writer’s block?

Tags:
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted March 28, 2013 by Ms. Haseltine in category slice of life challenge

23 thoughts on “Slice #28 Inside the writer’s brain…

1. anita ferreri

You ask some great questions. It seems the MORE I write the MORE I think like a writer and the more I can write about. SOunds weird but seems to be!

2. Kipp

Oh I really like this.
    I felt like you were writing from inside my head.
    I knew you were communicating things in my heart when I’m working with my kids.
    Understanding writing from the writer’s side does make all the difference.

3. mshaseltine (Post author)

Wow, Thanks Kipp! Writing for my students and with my students has helped me understand them. I appreciate your comment. 🙂

4. mshaseltine (Post author)

True! There are many days I feel like that Anita. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

5. Aynslee :-)

I just wanted to say… I got a baby Boston Terrier named Dobby as in
    Harry Potter. I think I will bring in a picture of her in on Tuesday. Would that be o.k.? She is the cutest thing in the world!!!

6. mshaseltine (Post author)

Congratulations Aynslee! Yes, please bring a picture. I’d love to see her!!

7. Matthew

On Sunday my brother Josh gave us his xbox 360, Halo 2 and 4 and he is coming home today, I can’t wait till then!

8. Lipika

Today I have to do my Math homework and my Spanish project. I am almost done with my spanish homework but I am a procrasinator( sometimes) so I hnk I will do Math later. I only did one side for know. Well I think time is up……..Bye! 🙂

9. Kiara

I Wish I knew but I kind of love writer’s block because later you can write a magnificent story.

10. Natalie

I don’t know what to write either. I’m thinking on just reading the smaller books first then go back to Inkheart. If I read Inkheart then the whole break I won’t finish any books.😩 I really want to finish some books over break. 😃

11. mshaseltine (Post author)

Natalie,

I understand about wanting to finish books, but let me ask you a question. Are you enjoying Inkheart? If so, keep reading that!!! I’d hate to see you take a break from a book you’re enjoying just to finish some books. It’s ok to read fewer books, as long as you are reading! 🙂

12. Grace

My sister got sick last night. I didn’t know till morning. We think it is from all the buttery popcorn that she ate when we saw a movie yesterday. She is better now though!

13. Paravi

Hi Ms. Haseltine. Yesterday I was super bored because MS had to leave and Rachel never called me. Neither have Kiara or Courtney. Me, my mom, and my dad watched some cool short Indian movies. They were kind of creepy though. I wish I had something to do over break. SO BORED!😐😕😶

14. Kiara

Hey I am almost done with between the shades f gray. Paravi the book is so good thanks for recommending!!!!!!

15. MS

I just finished Viola in the Spotlight. It was a really good book and I can’t wait for the third one!

I was just thinking about how when I was reading the post saying that our Skype needs to be rescheduled, I had to call my friend and tell her the news. I was supposed to miss Spectrum that day for the Skype, and she is in my group for the project we are working on. She was very happy when I told her because she would have been the only girl in our group and she didn’t want that to happen (she has Mrs. Fields, so she wouldn’t have been involved in the Skype).

Ms. Haseltine, in answer to your question, I think you should either read one of your favorite books or look back through things that you have previously written for inspiration.

16. Mrs. McGriff

I love the images you use to capture that sinking feeling of not knowing what to write about–the curve coming too fast, the fog that obscures the view. Somehow by writing about not knowing what to write, you created a beautiful piece. I tell my students writing is like magic. Once you start putting words down on paper–even “I don’t know”–the ideas start coming.

17. Leona

I NEED TO START STUDYING! I have been lazy all break and haven’t done any school work. I need to finish my book, study for history, and get my head out of games. I have been playing games all break and now I realize that I haven’t gotten anything done. I’m gonna start right now.

18. Stacey

Seems like you had a whole lot to write about, Michelle! I especially liked the references to faith.

As for me, I don’t have any cures for writer’s block. Though I think reading other people’s writing often inspires me to craft my own.

19. mshaseltine (Post author)

Thanks Stacey! I agree. Reading the writing of others often inspires me too.

20. Will R

Today, I am leaving Massachusetts. I am in the car right now. I know how to cure writers block. Take a break. Relax a bit. Do something you love to do. I usually get my ideas during my break. I hope this helps!

21. Carmela

Today I had so much fun! We walked around New York, and met up with one of my dad’s best friend. During the day we went around New York City, and then during the evening we visited my dad’s really close friend. He lives in a penthouse on the top floor along the Hudson River, and he has a Ferrari, a Porsche, and cars like that. He even owns his own company, they sell and make 3D printers, airbrushes that uses any type of marker instead of paint, etc.