Write. Every. Day.
The school day moves quickly. If you are a teacher, you live that life daily. At the beginning of my sixth-grade classes, we spend a few minutes every day writing in our notebooks. We call it Sacred Writing Time. (In my notebook entries, you’ll see my abbreviation, SWT.) It truly is a precious time to me and my students. Here are some blurbs from my entries on Tuesday. Judge for yourself. Do you spend any time writing with your students on a daily basis? If not, I urge you to try it…it’s life changing…
Here’s why I wrote, “I love Jessica”…
Spending the beginning moments of a class, writing together has so many benefits.
- We live like writers. We show up to the page every single day.
- Routine breaks down the resistance to writing.
- We build ourselves as writers…word by word, sentence by sentence, page by page.
- There’s calm and quiet in the middle of chaos and pressure.
- We learn to have faith that the words will come to us and the page will always be there.