March 5 2017

I Don’t Want to Write Today!

I’m tired today and I didn’t plan well enough to have a blog post ready for this morning…so here I am, struggling to find something to write. I realize it’s only day five of the challenge, but I am already struggling with topics. None of my mentor posts feel like something I could write today. I just want to skip today.

I could write later in the day, but that always seems to get away from me. I feel like I’ve failed if I don’t post first thing in the morning. So here I am, frustrated…with the challenge, but if I’m being honest, mostly with myself.

This is why I’m here. Writing is hard. It’s hard to show up every day. It’s hard to be clever and interesting and creative on a daily basis…but I’m here. I have to be. This is what writers do. Writers struggle to write. It’s not easy, but it’s worth it.

I hesitate to use “writer’s block” to describe my experience this morning. A writer friend, Patti Digh, once told me and my students that there’s no such thing as writer’s block. She said that you must show up and do the work. Plumbers don’t have plumber’s block. That’s ridiculous! She said that’s why she doesn’t believe in writer’s block. Show up and do the work.

And look…

I showed up. I complained. I whined, a little…but a post is written. It’s not my best. It certainly isn’t perfect, but the work got done. Writing is messy and hard, but I’m so glad that I showed up and wrote.

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted March 5, 2017 by Ms. Haseltine in category #SOLC17, writer's block

2 thoughts on “I Don’t Want to Write Today!

1. cocolee

I agree with you sometimes I don’t have anything to write about for a blog post, even if it’s a free write.