October 7 2014

Distractions

I had another idea for this post…until I got distracted. There are so many opportunities for distractions in our daily lives. We try to multitask to keep up with everything. There are times that I find myself in places and I don’t remember how I got there or why I’m there because I’m thinking about a million other things. 

Monday night I got home late, so I grabbed Bella’s retractable leash and took her on a walk. 

Feeling the time crunch, I brought my phone so I could check my email. She usually barks a lot at that first walk after work. It’s like she’s saying hello to everyone after a long day cooped up. I’m getting used to that. But tonight, as I was distracted checking my phone she ran into the street AT a car. I’m so grateful that the driver wasn’t distracted. He stopped. She’s fine. It’s by the grace of God that Bella is unharmed. I feel awful. I should have been more present and less distracted. She could have been killed! 

What will I take from this? First of all, I’m going to get Bella some training on the leash. Second, I’m taking this as a reminder to be present. Be in the moment. What was so important that I couldn’t have waited ten minutes?!?!

Life is precious. Some days I feel like I’m sleep walking through and other days I feel like I’m speed walking through. The moments when I feel happiest are the moments when I’m the most present. I need to unplug more. I’m reminded of an article I read about only checking email twice a day. No checking while waiting at the light or checking in line at the grocery store or when I’m walking the dog. From now on, Bella gets my full attention on our walks. Less distractions. Be. In the moment. Present. 

P.S. As I was looking for some pictures of Bella for this post, I noticed something. Bella is an expert at BEing in the moment. She’s fully present…all the time. Here are some examples…

She’s an example for me…reminding me to just BE.

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted October 7, 2014 by Ms. Haseltine in category Bella, Haseltine, slice of life

3 thoughts on “Distractions

1. isabel

I agree their are so many distractions that we are not aware of that we may as well be one of them.