September 17 2014

So Many Slices, So Little Time…

I’m finding that as I’m looking for things to write about…more and more things present themselves to me! I’ve started a list of slices I want to write, so I don’t forget.

I love to sleep. I love my comfy bed and my pillows. I love curling up with a book. All my life, I’ve fallen asleep easily. I think my mom would say that I was even a good sleeper as a baby. High school changed that…temporarily!

High school was a time where there was so much living to be done, that I didn’t have any time for sleep. Homework to complete, books to read…ok, I should be honest…I needed to hang out with my friends! We’d stay up late and do all sorts of things that high schoolers do. While I may not have had time to sleep, I still needed sleep, so mornings became a tough time around my house. No one ever had to wake me up before this time in my life.

My bedroom was on the first floor and one morning my dad noticed that it was getting late and I was still in bed. He opened the door and said, “Michelle, you need to get up and get ready for school.” He left quickly. I stayed in bed. He came back again and repeated his request. This time I groaned and rolled over. He warned, “The next time I come back, I won’t be asking.” I mumbled agreement. He said, “Michelle, I mean it. I’ll dump a bucket of water on your head if you don’t get out of bed.” I pulled the covers over my head. (In my defense, I was still sleeping and didn’t believe him.)

A few minutes later, my sister and my mom came into my bedroom. I could hear my sister giggling. I was curious, but still sleepy. Suddenly, the covers where whipped off of me and I felt it. ICE COLD WATER! I screamed! Kate and mom and dad were laughing. I leapt out of bed. You can guess, I never, ever overslept again!

I wrote this today because this morning, my sister sent me a message. Last night she was reading a book to her kids and when she read this page, she thought of me…

bookI don’t know what book this is from, when I find out, I will include the title and author!

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted September 17, 2014 by Ms. Haseltine in category family, Haseltine, slice of life

15 thoughts on “So Many Slices, So Little Time…

1. mrsobrien17

I agree that since starting Slice of Life writing, I am always searching for new topics for my next Slice. I’m also getting better at pointing out ideas to students, too. It’s fun to imagine writing about each new idea. Keeping a list of possible writing ideas especially for Slice of Life is a great idea. Sorta like a “Someday Slice List”!

2. luvpuppies123

Ms. Haseltine, I have this book in my house and your sister is right. This is just like the time when your sister and mom poured the bucket of water on you!!:-)))

3. Rose

See, school does this to us. Such a funny story! The thing is, now you have to find out the difference from sarcasm and what is real from people.

4. Ryan

Im a heavy sleeper and i love to sleep a lot. i have to use a really lound alarm like a siren that wakes up everyone.

5. Jellyfishman

I am practically the opposite you. I always have to be woken up. Although I sleep in, my dad never dumped ice water on me.

6. Happy Smiles

I know how you feel. My dad puts a really really loud alarm. It keeps on going until I get up and stop it. I don’t know if your like me but once I get up I don’t feel like sleeping. My dad knows that so he puts the alarm far away. It really annoys me.

7. deeni12

i really like sleeping but whenever my dad has to wake me up for school, i am really tired and sometimes i sleep even though he woke me up.