February 24 2014

One of My Favorite Books by Mrs. Bryden-Miller

As a librarian, I read a lot of books.  A lot of books.  More books than types of beetles exist.  But only a few stand out among the rest, a few that really remind me how much I like reading opposed to what I do for work.

One of those books is The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg.  Claudia and her little brother Jamie run away from home, in part because Claudia doesn’t feel appreciated.  An initiating event that has shown up in many stories, but the setting is what makes all the difference:  the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.  While fishing for coins in the fountain and hiding from the guards, Claudia and Jamie find a mystery that must be solved.

I loved the way the author uses all the details of the museum.  I always wondered what happened at night in the space, and the thought of spending all the time with the art and artifacts, is a fantasy.  Claudia is relatable and sympathetic for a protagonist.

I would recommend this for those who like Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library especially.

Tags:
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted February 24, 2014 by Ms. Haseltine in category book review, library

1 thoughts on “One of My Favorite Books by Mrs. Bryden-Miller

1. loverbooks

I am thinking about reading Mr. Lemoncello’s Library , but the other book doesn’t look my type!
    🙁