September 10 2013

An author reads our “Big Plans”!

Big Plans by Bob Shea is our first read aloud of the year. We love reading it because we get to read part of it together. “I’ve got BIG PLANS! BIG PLANS, I say!”  As you walk up and down the hallways of sixth grade the first week, you can hear students repeating this in Language Arts class. After reading the book, we discussed and shared our “Big Plans”. You can see some in the video and in the pictures. These sixth graders certainly have “Big Plans”!  If the story ended here, that would be enough because I’m already so proud of each and every student in my classes…but it doesn’t end there. I posted the first Vine video on twitter and guess who commented on it? Oh, it was Bob Shea. Yes, that’s correct!

THE AUTHOR OF THE BOOK BIG PLANS!!!

He commented on our work. His comment, “Stealing these”, sent us reeling. It’s the sixth day of school and we have already made contact with an author. Woo Hoo!

Tags:
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted September 10, 2013 by Ms. Haseltine in category authors, beginning of the year, goals

9 thoughts on “An author reads our “Big Plans”!

1. Christine Engelen

AWESOME!! I love this idea!! I want to get my hands on the book…and I want to make Big Plans index cards and stash them all over the place! I see myself putting them on my bathroom mirror in the morning, stuck to the center of my steering wheel, stashed in my desk drawer to give me a little jolt of inspiration when I’m feeling sluggish, used as bookmarks in my assigned texts, tucked into my back pocket, taped to the back of my cell phone, wrapped around my water bottle (that was given to me by Ms. Haseltine before I moved across country)!!

“In the beginning was the WORD….” Even in our creation myth, the WORD came before the THING. Speaking the word out loud…writing the word down…that’s the first step towards making it a reality!! Now that you’ve written out your Big Plans, say them aloud! Tell the world! Make it happen!

Way to go, Ms. Haseltine’s class!

2. dogtrax

I need that book, too. We do what seems like a similar project — Dream Scenes — that would tie in nicely to the theme of that book. Thanks!
    Kevin

3. Catherine @readingtothecore

What a thrill for you and your students! They do indeed have some big plans! Thanks for sharing.

4. logan

I had a bunch of fun on big plans! I can’t wait for the new projects to come, hope we have a bunch more fun like we are having

5. Michael

This new theme is so cool Ms. Haseltine! I love how the fish swim across the screen. Also, the worm that takes you to the top of the page awesome.