June 9 2012

My afternoon at the library…finding time to write

library

My afternoon at the library

In keeping with the first mini-lesson of the summer, today I found time to write at my favorite place, the local public library.  I left ALL electronics at home, I even turned OFF my cell phone and thoroughly enjoyed one uninterrupted hour of writing and reading. Indulgent, inspiring, and I can’t wait to do it again.

One of the things I wrote was the quick write prompt from Thursday, so here it is…

I walk by the door three times before I finally go into the library. Holding my breath, I keep my head down and hope no one will notice me. This is the first time I’ve come here without my class. I’m here alone, all by myself. As I approach the shelves, I finally blow out the breath I’d been holding. Why am I so nervous? I wonder. The minutes tick and I find that soon, I am actually smiling.

Needing to escape to somewhere, I came here. Here? Hmmm, well, anywhere is better than lunch. Lunch is…lunch. Finding a place to sit, not knowing anyone, it’s too much. I can’t face it yet. Suddenly, I realize that my friends are here…on and off the shelves. For the first time I look around and see a few friendly faces. The librarian, Miss Miller, catches my eye. Unexpectedly, she smiles. It’s then I realize, I’m home.

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this? Fiction is not anything that I feel comfortable writing, but I enjoyed this prompt. My piece of writing is in the voice of a sixth grader who doesn’t know anyone. I like the fact that it could be a girl or a boy. I know what I was thinking. Who did you picture? At the library, I found a picture book titled, Book, by George Ella Lyon.  It’s a beautiful poem about books and reading. There’s one stanza that spoke to me and I wanted to share it here.

A BOOK is a FARM,

its fields sown with words.

Reader, you are its weather;

your tears, your eyes shining.

The writer, working these words,

cried and laughed, too.

Now you meet

as the gate of the book

swings wide.

~George Ella Lyon

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted June 9, 2012 by Ms. Haseltine in category My writing

4 thoughts on “My afternoon at the library…finding time to write

1. Rosemary

Michelle, another great write….took me back to Cathedral, I felt the same way…..didn’t meet the aunts until senior week! Looking back now that is probably a good thing. Loved the poem, going to look up George Lyon.

2. tanvi v

Ms.Haseltine I love how you put so many details. I also adore how you speak to the readers. Is Ms.Miller our librarian at ERMS?

3. Rebekah (becky)

i love the story how you love to write. i told my mom that you kept composition note books since you were 8. she said that was cool. can or we not allowed to chew gum on school.
    becky

4. mshaseltine (Post author)

Thanks Becky! Gum: that depends on the teacher. It’s not allowed in Language Arts. Sorry 🙁